The family of a North Carolina woman recently made claims on Facebook that she contracted a deadly, flesh-eating bacteria from the water at Myrtle Beach. The post, seen below, has since gone viral.
According to the post, the family was vacationing in Myrtle Beach last week when the victim cut her leg on a chair, reports WMBF News. She spent time in the ocean between 23rd Avenue North and 27th Avenue North in the days that followed.
On Saturday, when the family was leaving Myrtle Beach, the victim says she discovered blisters on her leg which worsened as the day went on. She was airlifted to UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill on Sunday morning and went into surgery an hour later, according to WMBF.
“The doctor came in and spoke with me at Chapel Hill. He said it was a flesh-eating bacteria from her open wound,” the woman’s granddaughter told the news outlet. The family reports that she is now in stable condition.
The Myrtle Beach City Government Facebook page released the following statement regarding the incident:
“The City of Myrtle Beach is aware of a Facebook post that claims bacterial issues along the Grand Strand. We have had no reports and no direct contact about any such issues,” the post says.
The Department of Health and Environmental Control also released a statement about the alleged flesh-eating bacteria.
“DHEC is aware of the news reports of a potential case of necrotizing fasciitis in the Myrtle Beach area. It’s important to note that this type of condition is not necessarily associated with exposure to natural waters like oceans, lakes or rivers or poor water quality.” Robert Yanity with DHEC said.