(HealthDay News) — Split fingernails, medically called onychoschizia, affect more women than men.
The condition typically is caused by repeated wetting and drying of the nails, and tends to worsen in low humidity and during dry winters.
Latest Skin News
The American Osteopathic College of Dermatology suggests how to prevent the problem:
- Apply a lotion containing alpha-hydroxy acids or lanolin to your nails after soaking them in water for 5 minutes.
- Wear gloves while doing household chores.
- Apply clear nail prep once a week, or consider a nail polish with nylon fibers to add strength.
- Be gentle to your nails and shape them with a fine file. Round them with a gentle curve.
- Do not use a metal instrument to push back cuticles.
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR NEXT NEWS ARTICLE