If we say that High Blood pressure is a gift of modernism, then it will not be an exaggeration. In this fast paced life mental tension, anxiety, anger and other disorders affect our mind, heart, soul, sensibility and sense organs too. Our heart governs the blood flow in our body, which works like a pumping station. Blood goes to arteries and comes back to the heart from all parts of the body.
Heart again sends it back to the arteries. Blood pressure is the pressure of this pumping on the blood. This way blood pressure is not a disease but a normal activity. But when due to some reasons, this pressure increases or decreases then it is called high or low blood pressure respectively.Today High blood pressure is an elite society’s disease. It comes without warning silently; hence it is also called a silent killer.
Causes of high blood pressure
There are two types of problems. One is physical and the other is mental.
1. Narrowing of arterial lumen.
2. Increase in cholesterol level in the blood.
5. Liver or Kidney problem
6. Excess intake of non-vegetarian food and wine.
7. Too much spicy or oily food.
Heart beat increases in emotional people due to anxiety, anger and fear etc, it causes mental tension then a rise in blood pressure too. Materialistic living provokes tension even on very minor issues which gives us tension and anxiety and further results in High blood pressure.
Treatment through food habits
1. Pumpkin, Pumpkin guord, amasanthus, cabbage, coriander, wheat, rice moong, coconut, ginger, cucumber, garlic, honey and butter milk are always beneficial.
2. Please avoid curd, non-veg, banana, ice-cream, sweets, staple food, vinegar, pickle, salt, jaggery and tamarind.
3. Regular walk, avoid too much physical labour, control on food and proper rest are essential.
4. Keep your digestion good and avoid obesity.
5. Avoid anxiety, anger, jealousy, sorrow and other negative mental feelings.Yoga can be practiced to get relief from Blood pressure. Shawasana is the panacea for this.
Other than this, following asanas, pranayam and mudras are also useful for high blood pressure.
2. Yog nidra.
5. Pawan muktasana.
8. Sheetali pranayam.
Shawasana or Shivasana is very useful asana. Our body looks like a dead body in this asana hence this name.
- Lie on your back.
- Relax all muscles and organs.
- Relax each cell of the body.
- There should not be any stiff muscle.
- Clam your mind, breath very slowly.
- Breath should be calm and deep, body must be completely relaxed.
- Think that your whole body is going into a deep relaxation. Practice it at least for 10 minutes daily.
It rejuvenates our body with new energy, stiffness in muscles, mental restlessness and uneasiness is cured. It cures heart problems and high blood pressure. Heart, mind body and lungs are relaxed Mental tension, anger insomnia etc. Are cured. It is not an asana rather it is base for all sadhanas.
Do not go into sleep while doing it, practice it very slowly and do not hurry.
Life is not possible without oxygen. Sheetali pranayam calms our mind and body that is why it is called so. METHOD: Sit in padmasana or shkhasana posture. Put both your hands on knees in Gyan Mudra. Try to concentrate your mind. Now role your tongue like a pipe, inhale deeply through it with a sound, close your eyes, hold your breath and exhale. This is a charka. This should be practiced at least ten times.
This pranayam is helpful in high blood pressure and also calms down our anger. It cures constipation, skin diseases and the problems related to liver.
People suffering from cough should not do this pranayam. The patients suffering from asthma and tonsillitis should do it under an able guru.
Yoga Guru —Suneel Singh